Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Countdown Continues...

The Communist Part of Canada has not bothered running in my electoral district of Montreal since the 2000 election, where they finished in 7th out of 8 parties, receiving 140 votes compared to the Liberals 33,118. It's a wonder why anyone even bothers to run against the Liberals here, but oh well. Here's the exact table just for your information, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Canadian federal election, 2000
Party Candidate Votes

Liberal Irwin Cotler 33,118

Progressive Conservative Stephane Gelgoot 2,489

Bloc Québécois Jean-Sebastien Houle 1,740

Canadian Alliance Alex Gabanski 1,444

New Democrat Maria Pia Chávez 1,034

Green Jean-Claude Balu 681

Communist Judith Chafoya 140

Natural Law Ena Kahn 122

As I've said in my post degrading the Marxist-Leninist Party, I do not agree with Communism in every way. I'm not completely tied to the Liberal Party just because of my riding, or my religion, but I am most definitely NOT even thinking about voting for the Communist Party and their Mont-Royal representative Antonio Artuso. In the 2006 federal election, the Commies, led by Miguel Figueroa, finished in 11th place, behind the Marijuana Party, the Canadian Action Party, and the Christian Heritage Party. Here are the 2006 federal stats, once again, courtesy of Wikipedia:

After the elimination of the Communist Party from the parties I'm seriously considering voting for in ten days, five candidates remain in my riding:

Tyrell Alexander (Green Party of Canada)
Irwin Cotler (Liberal Party of Canada)
Maryse Lavallée (Bloc Québécois)
Nicolas Thibodeau (New Democratic Party)
Rafael Tzoubari (Conservative Party of Canada)

And what a coincidence, they're the representatives from the five parties that are considered "major" and were allowed to debate in the Leader's Debate on Thursday. So now that I got the two parties that should not be taken seriously in the election at all, much less my riding, out of the way, I can concentrate on doing serious research.

Check back often.

1 comment:

Carma B said...

i added a feed button