Monday, September 15, 2008

DAMN YOU NBC!


Before I start this post allow me to have a disclaimer:

NBC is probably my favorite network. It airs Heroes, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, and 30 Rock, my four favorite on-air shows. It also airs my two favorite late night shows, Late Night With Conan O'Brien and Saturday Night Live. A couple years back it even showed some of my all-time favourites (Seinfeld, Friends, Las Vegas.) So why all this hatred?

After I discovered I could actually put videos into my blog, instead of just linking to them, I was very happy. Immediately I put in Tina Fey's impression of Sarah Palin on Saturday's episode of SNL in the post where i reviewed that episode. Then watched it. Four times. God bless YouTube.

But then, a couple hours later when i tired to watch it, i remembered: NBC sucks. The video, and all other videos on YouTube that showed the whole sketch,had been removed due to copyright infringement.

Excuse me NBC, but have you seen YouTube? Almost every single video there violates copyright law, despite the warning YouTube gives when you upload a video. YouTube became so popular that many television networks, including NBC, got their own "channels." Both John McCain and Barack Obama are using YouTube to post speeches and ads, in an effort to reach the viral community.

So where did NBC go?

A couple of months, actually closer to a year, NBC shut down their YouTube channel, taking viral mega-hits "Lazy Sunday" and "Dick In A Box," with it. Why? In anticipation of the launch of Hulu, their own version of YouTube.

Because of those assholes over at NBC, viewers outside the U.S. no longer have access to any NBC-related clips. They've essentially monopolized something they have the right to monopolize, but shouldn't have. If you have the right to change your name to We Suck A Lot Corporation, do you? No. Thanks NBC, you guys suck.

PS. You may suck, but please keep Heroes, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, and 30 Rock on the air as long as possible. Thanks.

No comments: